To My Youngers,
Work.
Sounds kinda not-so-great eh? Kinda un-fun? Non-exciting? So what do you call your job when its not any of those things... even "Job" sounds like something you have to do, somewhere you don't want to be! I don't know what to call it, I just know that I've been fortunate enough to have several 'jobs' that were pretty much as far from 'work' as you can get.
Some nameless smart person once said something like "choose to do something you love doing, and your work will never be work." I'm sure the original quote was much more eloquent than that, but its a pretty simple idea. For me that workless-work comes from being surrounded by people you get on with, doing something you enjoy, and getting to do most of it outside! When I'm working I like to keep busy, to try hard, to ask questions and learn how things function or how to do them better. Working with my hands, creating something, doing something physical... At the end of the day having something to point to and say "look what I helped do!" if only in my own head.
I don't have any advice on how to go about that, though I do know something that makes it easier- to save your money for the things that really matter to you. For me that's concerts, good pens, visiting with friends and family, and the odd block of really good cheese. Fill up the rest with free stuff like bicycling, and almost free stuff like drinking tea on the deck, add the odd tub of chocolate ice cream and you've got it made.
I suppose I should also mention that this kind of work doesn't always pay very well, at least not in the money sense. The one or two craptastic jobs I've had showed me pretty quickly that its better to have less money and be happy than it is to have more money and be miserable! Again a pretty simple idea, and a pretty obvious one, though its not always quite that straightforward. Too many people tread the line, preferring just that little bit more pay for something they like doing just a little bit less... It isn't easy to keep plugging away at something you like doing, but trust me it is definitely worth it, despite the low points and the hard times (especially if you have the support of wonderful friends and family!!!).
Old Man Luedecke says "Don’t kill yourself about making it. Just be takin it easy but be takin it." and I agree with him about both of those sentiments. 'Making it' should never be the goal and you should never super stress about work, but you should also always be actively doing something, creating something, contributing to life the universe and everything.
One of the things I like about my job is the late nights and the fresh air, but that also often results in fuzzy-brain at this time of day (night? or is it morning now?) hence my ramblyness... Time for the takin it to give in to the takin it easy..!
-E
No comments:
Post a Comment