Monday, July 11, 2011

Whether the Weather Matters, Matters to us Canadians

To My Youngers,

I love working outdoors. The sunshine, the breeze, the tan through 40 SPF sunscreen... Today I got the day off- with pay- because it was raining. Which made me happy for obvious reasons, but also a little sad because I actually like having to be outside when its raining (in the summer anyways)...

I used to be a house painter. I would wake up each morning and stumble downstairs to watch the weather network, check on what it was gonna do that day, that morning that afternoon. My work day revolved around the weather, and perhaps oddly, I absolutely loved it. It made me feel connected to the real world, to the indisputable real world. The world of clouds and rain and sunshine and tornadoes. Hurricanes and freak hail storms. Thunderstorms (best of all)! even the super cold days and the super hot ones, a little part of me dies when I don't get to experience the full range on a regular basis... In that way I am very very Canadian- I love the weather. I like talking about it sure, but I especially like experiencing it. Getting soaked, frying, freezing, not feeling your toes, having sweat drip off your nose...

For a while I even entertained the thought of becoming a stormchaser, except for that the twice I've seen a tornado in person it kind of had a vertigo type effect, I couldn't look away or drive away or anything. I find it fascinating. Literally. How else could you explain my love of Twister? I mean Helen hunt is pretty awesome but, really... ;o)

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment