Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Alternative

To my elders,

When referring to the 90s, "Alternative" can mean so many things. Music. Hairstyles. Lifestyles. Shoes. Medicine. Bus this past week it has meant something a little different. Its meant Dimensions. As in, Alternative, parallel dimensions.

I'm not crazy, I promise. I rediscovered that once upon a time I found Sliders somewhere and got the first 3 seasons. Remember Sliders? No? A tv show from 1995 about wormholes to other dimensions? Starring Jerry O'Connell? Vaguely? Well then check out the trailer.

We watched Sliders growing up. And you know what? It is probably why we like Doctor Who so much. New adventures on strange, yet familiar worlds every week. Worm holes. Dimensions. Time(-ish) travel. Occasionally dinosaurs. Cheesy special affects, simplistic plots, and yet surprisingly interesting. And you know what? If you get past the grunge-ness of it (it was 1995 after all), it really does stand up.

I kind of love being able to rediscover something I was so into as a kid. Its like getting to glimpse something of your past. I remember some episodes better than other, and some not at all. I may never have seen them, or maybe they just didn't stick that well. It was on past my bedtime.

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment