Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mmmmmm


To my elders,

I bet you'd never have thought this would one day be the case, but I really enjoy cooking. I may have been a teenager who could make a total of Kraft Dinner, scrambled eggs and curry tuna (family favourite, for a future post), but I have slowly been building a (delicious) cook book of recipes. So say "thank you" to my friends who hold a weekly cooking club (vegetarian, experimental, often involves indian and mexican food) for providing me with a willing audience to test recipes on.

Mango-Avocado Salsa
(incredibly fresh tasting and especially good with pita)


1 mango
1 avocado
4 plum tomatoes
1 small red onion
1 jalapeno pepper
Handful of fresh cilantro
Olive oil
Lemon or lime juice

Dice mango, tomatoes, onion and avocado. Remove stems from cilantro and dice. Remove seeds from jalapeno and cut into small squares. Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl with 3 table spoons of olive oil and 1 table spoon of lemon or lime juice. Stir and let sit 30 minutes (for flavours to mix).


Eggplant-less Ratatouille
(because I hate eggplant. Its slimy and gross. But ratatouille is amazing. Especially with fresh bread and some good cheese)


2 large zuccinis
1 large red onion
4 medium tomatos
2 green peppers
Olive oil
2 tablespoons each of:
Parseley
Basil
Garlic*
Oregano

Roughly chop the onion, and add it and olive oil to a large-ish pot over medium heat. Chop and add the zuccini, followed by the peppers and tomatos. Add a bit more olive oil. Add seassonings, stir, and let simmer over medium heat for 25-35 minutes. The vegetable juices will form a sauce.

*If using fresh garlic, add with onions.


Curry Potatoes
(possibly the more delicious potatoes I have ever eaten in my entire life. Super soft, super tasty, always a hit at pot-lucks, and I never have any leftovers to bring home. Good cold, better warm. Oh, and I always double the recipe. There can never be too much curry potatoes)



4 medium potatoes
1 shallott (sliced)
2tsp curry powder
2 tbsp coconut juice
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp soy sauce
Vegetable oil

Skin potatoes, rinse, dice.
Pan fry in vegetable oil (about 3 tbsp) until slightly brown. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil, curry powder and shallot.
Add potato back in. Stir until well mixed.
Add vegetable broth. Bring to boil. Reduce to medium low. Add coconut juice.
Stir occasionally until sauce thickens (about 20 minutes).

Bon Appetite.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment