I am extremely excited. Because the new Library Voices cd comes out today. And I don't even get to go to the store to buy it. I pre-ordered it, and now get to/ have to wait for a delivery. Gross. Not that I don't already have to pre-sale digital download and have been listening to the album on repeat for the past week and a half...
I can't really explain how it all works exactly. How a band becomes (arguably) your favourite. I get it when you're 15 and there is a back-catalogue to catch up on and nearly 8 years worth of music you feel you need to make up lost time for (aka when I discovered Less Than Jake in 9th grade). But following a band from right after their first EP is slightly different. I've seen the crowds grow. I've been to sold out shows and shows with 10 people. I've sang the Fresh Prince of Bell-Air theme song so a stranger would give me 5$ to I would have enough to buy the "Library Voices Pop as Fuck" t-shirt (and then had to wear it with a vest so my mom wouldn't see the "Fuck" part). So now its 2 cds in 2 years, and the band's a changin' but still as good. Really, the only thing I really miss is the other 2 girls. They started with 10 people, 3 of which were girls. Who all sang various verses and back-up vocals on their first album. But after 1 dude and 2 dudettes left the band over the years, the female vocals have gotten less and less. I don't think there are any on this new album. Not that I noticed anyhow.
But its weird the things you see if a band from one album to the next, from past bands and other things that you value in other music. I appreciate the references, the horns, the danceability of it all. But especially the scathing qualities of the lyrics. They, at times, read like one gigantic "burn" to the shallow, too-ish hipster types. Case in point: Generation Handclap.
-K
No comments:
Post a Comment