Monday, August 22, 2011

Haunted by Pathertic Fallacy

To My Youngers,

You remember Pathetic Fallacy right? From English class? When the character's mood or feelings are reflected in the weather? Shakespeare was a big fan, as were many classic British authors, not to mention the original classicAL play-writes and tale-tellers... In other words its in a lot of stories. But also in real life. For serious.

So I know that there's a sort of condition called seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D. for short, of course) but I'm not talking about an overall-pervasive-seasonal-sadness, I don't have S.A.D. (though I'm pretty sure if I ever lived somewhere like Vancouver again I might actually be at risk for driving myself off of some sort of cliff...), but what I DO have is an unusually strong connection to the weather...

Now I'm not actually suggesting that the weather changes to suit my mood (though that would be a particularly entertaining, if possibly dangerous, super-power to have), more that the weather (whatever the weather may be) seems to suggest a series of possible moods for me to be in. For example; today was dreary, cool, and humid. That is definitely melancholy weather (yes I realise the computer wants me to spell it 'melancholia' but F Scott Fitzgerrald spells it with a 'y' and so can I!), however there are many different types of melancholy, and the weather seemed to change and shift as my type of melancholy changed and shifted... The clouds moved by quickly as I felt restless and frustrated. As I left on my bike-ride the skies became more gently shaded with grey, and as I exited the grocery store- upset that they didn't have any roasted chickens left, but excited that the bread was still warm- the clouds opened up and drenched my knees as I rode home.

A perfect reflection of my moods in the weather.

Now like I said I don't really think that the weather is changing because my mood is changing, but.... I mean... c'mon.

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment