Monday, August 8, 2011

Its So Hip To Be A Square

To My Youngers,

I have finally come to terms with it- I like things that are lame. So lame (in my opinion at least) that it makes them entertaining, but lame nonetheless. Now I take solace here in the fact that 'lame' is a fairly difficult word to define (in this context at any rate) and so can have a positive connotation (which is how I choose to see it!) thus avoiding the more pejorative meaning of commoner times... Orsomething.

What has brought on this realization (you might be asking)? A few things actually:

1) Trying to explain to a friend why banjos (and in particular Elliot Brood) are both awesome and sexy but being wholly unsuccessful because despite all the video links I could find at the time not in the least doing justice to Elliot Brood, Mark Sasso, or banjos I still found them awesome. Apparently they were lame...

2) Becoming suddenly completely taken with the idea of moccasins and deciding to purchase them, driving to the mall, then buying the silliest most fifties-cartoon moccasin booties I could find (also deemed lame)...

3) Rediscovering a secret cache of Moondog tunes on my computer (how did they even get there in the first place? I literally have no idea, they just appeared one day) and being super taken with them despite their uber seventiesness and indisputable lame factor...

4) Being sad that all my favourite vloggers were slack on uploading videos this past week cuz they were at vidcon. Worse yet? Knowing what vidcon is.... laaaaaame

5) Missing riding my bicycle so much (shes not left the shed in three whole days!Yes my bike is a she. Her name is Agatha. Yes my bike has a name.) that I felt compelled to take it out for a ride at ten o'clock at night, ending up at the grocery store to get new batteries for my headlamp and having a long discussion with the checkout-girl about the excellentlness of my speaker-filled bike helmet. Doesn't sound too lame, until you factor in how excited I was to be discussing my bike helmet and finally getting batteries for my headlight and that my bicycle has a name...

6) Being excited at the sound of the knife-sharpening-truck bells. More excited than if it was the ice cream truck. Yep. Lame.

(I was gonna stop at five but I couldn't resist the knife-truck childhood throwback...  ;o)

Also I played Scotland Yard all afternoon...

Life is so much fun when you can eek joy out of the things other people find too silly to bother with...!

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment