When one thinks of Timeless-ness, in a pop-culture, 20th and 21st century sort of way, one thinks of little black dresses, Coco Chanel, Audrey Hepburn, and general classy things. But I also think of music.
There are some bands and albums, and, according to E, genres, that sound like themselves more than the decade that produced them. Which is how Simon and Garfunkel have many a song that could have been produced by a low-fi folk duo of the past five years, pop punk has sounded the same for 20 years, Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yelstin sound like they are from the 60s, and Jimmy Eat World don't sound dated, even though I know I was listening to "Sweetness" in 9th grade. One of my friends looked like the singer and one of the weekend project movies my friends made featured a scene when a girl, trying to escape a serial killer, hears music, opens the door, sees said friend with a guitar singing "Sweetness," looks confused at the camera, shuts the door and continues her escape.
And its not just that the music isn't really that dated, but the lyrics managed to feel appropriate when I was 15, but they still feel the same now, when I'm (nearly) 25. I site:
The Middle:
Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on.
Just try your best, try everything you can.
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away.
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).
Hey, you know they're all the same.
You know you're doing better on your own, so don't buy in.
Live right now.
Yeah, just be yourself.
It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else.
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).
Hey, don't write yourself off yet.
It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on.
Just do your best, do everything you can.
And don't you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say.
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).
[Sidebar: this is the top comment on the website I found these lyrics on. Amazing.
"it sucks that some people really just don't understand how music works for some other people. this song is amazing. it really can help. music really does help. and you'll never really know unless you yourself have experienced it. and unless you've got experience, you've got no right to talk crap about the song and the people it's helped. right? yup"]
A Praise Chorus:
Are you gonna live your life wonderin' standing in the back lookin' around?
Are you gonna waste your time thinkin' how you've grown up or how you missed out?
Things are never gonna be the way you want.
Where's it gonna get you acting serious?
Things are never gonna be quite what you want.
Or even at 25, you gotta start sometime.
I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go.
Now all I need is just to hear a song I know.
I wanna always feel like part of this was mine.
I wanna fall in love tonight.
Are you gonna live your life standing in the back looking around?
Are you gonna waste your time?
Gotta make a move or you'll miss out.
Someone's gonna ask you what it's all about.
Stick around nostalgia won't let you down.
Someone's gonna ask you what it's all about.
Whatcha gonna have to say for yourself?
I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go.
Now all I need is just to hear a song I know.
I wanna always feel like part of this was mine.
I wanna fall in love tonight.
Crimson and clover, over and over.
Crimson and clover, over and over.
Our house in the middle of the street, why did we ever meet?
Started my rock 'n roll fantasy.
Don't don't, don't let's start, why did we ever part?
Kick start my rock 'n rollen heart.
I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go.
So come on Davey, sing me somethin' that I know.
I wanna always feel like part of this was mine.
I wanna fall in love tonight.
Here tonight.
I wanna always feel like part of this was mine
I wanna fall in love tonight.
Now, I admit, I am a sucker for lyrics than name specific ages and bond to them while I am that age, but still. Pretty damn good.
-K
No comments:
Post a Comment