Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thanksgiving Character Conundrum

To My Youngers,

This past weekend (aka My first Thanksgiving at the cottage in over a decade :o) K and I got in a late-night discussion about favourite television characters. This was jointly brought on by a major Sliders watching marathon and a re-telling of a moment in the Gossip Girl Season opener where two characters chime in union "Because he's Chuck Bass!" (Oh Chuck Bass, the reason for my embarrassing love of Gossip Girl...). I had some difficulty coming up with a top ten (after completely failing to turn my top two into an acceptable top five) but I think I've whittled it down.

SIDEBAR- there is something awesome about a top five list that is not often reflected in a similarly themed top ten list- because really, once you get past seven, you're just going for filler. Pretty much every list starts out as a top three, which is ever so difficultly fleshed out into a top five by suggesting then eliminating possible 4 and 5 candidates until you finally settle on the appropriate entries. A top ten list is just a lazy-man's top five. I would put forth that this is one of my few exceptions to the rule. Either that or I was just too tired and full to do said effective whittling.

Also note the difference between a top ten BEST and a top ten FAVOURITE... this is the latter type of list and does not in any way purport to be of the former sort!

So here is my list (partially in order, insomuch as Josh and Chuck Bass would be the top two)
1. Joshua Lyman (The West Wing)
2. Chuck Bass (Gossip Girl)
3. Gareth Keenan (The Office, UK)
4. Desmond Hume (Lost)
5. Donna Noble (Dr Who)
6. Peggy Olson (Mad Men)
7. Chandler Bing (Friends)
8. Sam Becket (Quantum Leap)
9. Sheldon Cooper (the Big Bang Theory)
10.Rory Williams (Dr. Who)

Honorable Mentions go to Quinn Mallory (Sliders),  Jessica Fletcher (Murder she Wrote), and the-man-with-his-twin-stuck-in-his-stomach (the Fiji-Mermaid episode of the X-files. What? He made me cry!)

-E

2 comments:

  1. I would put Sam Beckett WAY higher on my list. Who else pops into other people's lives with so much respect and regard for preserving the essence of their existence. A very well-written and well-acted experience. I would also have put put Charlie ahead of Desmond, but that's because Charlie died and Desmond didn't, so he gets memorial favourite status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. minako- In response to the order of the list I refer you to: "So here is my list (partially in order, insomuch as Josh and Chuck Bass would be the top two)" since I lamely couldn't decide who should be above who! As for Charlie, I was torn on that one, but I realised that much of my love for Charlie is mixed with that for Merry, and therefore more of a overarching Domenic Monaghan love, ergo not eligible for the character list... :o(

    ReplyDelete