To My Youngers,
I recently took up pottery. and by recently I mean I just got home from my first wheel class. El suggested the idea and it really didn't take much convincing, but I was cautiously optimistic in the days leading up to today.
Now I have used a pottery wheel before. I have made a few things on it- little vases and bowls- and glazed them, but not really found a use for them, and been so rushed and befuddled in the act of creation that I honestly don't remember much about the experience... except that it was fun.
So of course I expected it to be enjoyable, but its like when you go to see a band for the second time after an amazing first experience- you downplay the awesomeness of first performance in your mind just in case they happened to have a phenomenal last time you saw them and aren't usually very good. I've never had this actually happen to me, in fact quite the opposite usually occurs and I end up saying something like "This is just as amazing as I remember it being!" but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
So thats what I had done about the throwing (aka making a pot on a wheel). I remembered it being fun, but prepared myself for frustration and things not going smoothly, smooshed bowls and crushed pots. But it didn't happen. Instead it was even better than I'd remembered! Its so calming and so entrancing and so very.... well, really El hit it on the nose, when she so softly whispered 'Its maaaagical!'
And its not just the pot-making, our instructor is helpful but friendly, calm but firm, the other (very few) students in the class are eager and excited, not show-offy or annoying... I already feel like I 'm in an episode of Community!
Its nice when something surpassed your [albeit artificially] low expectations! Though I think that wheel ceramics would have easily soared about high expectations... making things is fun!
-E
No comments:
Post a Comment