Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Advertising

To my elders,

As I tell anyone who will listen, Mad Men is one of the best shows on television. Possibly ever. And I am a fan of tv and that is a big thing for me to say. But its just so... Good. Its gritty and rude and politically incorrect and dark and meek and cynical. There are entire collections of Don Draper quotes that would make anyone depressed.




So generally speaking I am both skeptical of advertising and yet understand that, especially in the age of the internet, for better or for worse, advertising makes the world go round. Things are free because they don't have to be charged for because advertising pays the bills. Google, for example, is funded entirely by advertising. Mostly for crap, but occasionally there are regular companies with adds on your Google searches and your YouTube videos.

But we depend on advertising. It started as a way of informing us about our choices. Because without the ads, we'd have to like, read the labels and stuff on all the crap we buy to figure out the difference between products. Except that most of the products aren't really that different. And we'd never get through trying to figure it out if we didn't at least know a little bit about products already, thanks to their handy ads.

Which is really all to say that when I order a black t-shirt, I expect it to be black and not, you know, like, red or something. O.o An exchange will be being made.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment