Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Firsts and Lasts

To my elders,

The first day of school. At the age of 5 (or 4 or 3 or 6 or whatever) you begin going to school, every year, year after year, for close to 20 years. You've never really done anything else. Summer jobs, sure, changing school, yeah, starting post-secondary with its random class hours and mismatched schedule, well, a lot of us, anyway. But then, one year, you're done. Just like that, you've graduated, and you're finished and you've had your summer, but there is nothing quite like the first day of school that isn't.

Am I talking about myself? Nope. Well, not this year anyway. I did have the experience though. Twice. Because I took 2 years off after undergrad before going back/ getting into graduate school. And it was weird. Like, really weird. The first year off, I thought I was done. Like, sooooo finished with school. I was sick to death of the essays and the reading and the finals and the hours and hours of studying. And I took the summer off and it was lovely, and then Labour Day weekend came, and I wasn't prepping to go back to school and then it hit me: I might never be in school. Ever. Again. (Because I'm not really the becoming a teaching type. Despite my family history.)

So where am I know? Well, yet again, this might be my last, first day of school. So wish me luck. But then again, who knows?

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment