Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Resistance

To my elders,

I resist a lot of things. I resist going to bed at night. I resist falling asleep, even when I am tired. I resist growing up. I resist new technology. I resist external forces of change. I resist (some) authority. And I resist liking new music by much loved bands.

Now, this last one sounds stupid. I know that. By why mess with a good thing? As much as I want loads of new songs and endless albums from the bands I love the most, I almost hate it when they release a new album. What if I don't like it? What if its disappointing? What if the sound quality blows? And then there is always the issue of having to learn a whole new album. Such a chore.

So today, when I found out that one of my absolute favourite bands, the one that made me cry at the thought of not liking them because of some bizarre twist of musical fate, aka Library Voices, launched their new website today, including an adorable new emblem, some concert dates, an announcement of a new album out this August (!) and a stream of a new song, I was actually minorly concerned. Would this song be good? Could it possibly still capture what I love about them? Would it take 20 listens for me to hear something of value in this song, only to leave me with a weird memory of not having liked it the first 15 times? (Which of course, even if I didn't like it, I would still keep listening, just in case.)


So here is a link to the new website where you can listen to the song and watch a video from their last album. The new song is called "Generation Handclap" and the album is entitled "Summer of Lust." I anticipate many songs about picnics and falling in love and reading obscure novels on blankets on a grassy hill with ill-fated loves. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into titles...

But to sum up the song itself, the first few bars are a little awkward and left me somewhat sceptical, but about 28 seconds in it makes a pleasant turn to self deprecation ("... this is generation drunk text") and more melody based guitars. And some horns in the background. Which is nice. Subtle, and nice. And surprisingly 60s in the quality of the music. Which I am a big fan of. But really, the piece de resistance of the song is the line "They say you are what you read. You can be Copeland. I'll be Murakami." Which is mostly just cute and quaint and clever referencing to semi-obscure philosophers (or, at least, I think Copeland is a philosopher from the 50s... I may be wrong about this). But also amazing because of the following: (Which is from the random rants or missed connections section of Craig's List about a year ago.)

"You stole my Murakami at Library Voices - (The Horseshoe)
First of all, stealing people's stuff in general isn't cool. But then to steal someone's BOOK from a LIBRARY VOICES show? Seriously? ... I'll forgive you if you write something neat in it and then leave it on a subway. But that's about it."

I think two love letters to Library Voices is enough for now. I will try not to base any more posts about them until the album actually comes out. But I am totally buying the 7" single if they have it at NXNE next week.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment