Friday, June 24, 2011

Aliens

To my elder and younger,

I found that K’s post was very thought provoking and made me think about what I would ask if I had 5 questions to ask.

I came up with basically the same list as K. However, I came up with two more questions that K had not. I would most likely ask my 2 questions in place of K’s Greek playwright question and the Kennedy question.

1) Are there other intelligent / sentient being in the universe? And do they know we exist?
If the situation were as K proposed and you were in an afterlife, then really what does it matter. However, as with all the questions, they are simple curiosity. Wouldn’t it be interesting to find out once and for all (eve if it’s 100’s of year ahead of schedule) if there were “others” out there. And not saying the little green men would be on their way here to probe us. But just to know if the odds panned out and the miracle of life (aka the evolution of ameba to primate or whatever) occurred on another planet.

2) Will mankind ever live on other planets?
Similarly with whether the miracle of life occurred on another planet, is there another planet out there in a distance to which humanity can reach by current or unknown future tech where life can be supported. As with “alien life” the right circumstances would have needed to be in play to create such a situation. But what if there was a planet out there that fit all the criteria for supporting life save one that preventing life from forming on that planet in due course. Then we would have a planet that could support life.

But as it were, if we ever got answers to our questions it would not be all that satisfying as we could not share it with anyone else. Our lust for answers to the big questions in our minds would be answered and then left like an empty cola can on the counter. What would the answers do? They would satisfy our curiosity for a moment and then what?

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment