So this is a blog (that I'm hoping you have already figured out...). "A blog about what?" you may ask (which would be a pretty good question, seeing as how the title doesn't give too much away). "Well I'll tell you!" (says I, since you're doing us the favour of reading it I suppose I owe you at least that much...).
It comes from a few places:
Recently having moved back to my home province, I now find myself in much closer proximity to my family. To some this would be a horrible thing to be avoided at all costs, but I have found it pleasantly excellent- a chance to have more visits, more conversations, just more time together, and ironically a chance to miss them almost more than before since I am more often reminded of how awesome they are!
This past weekend marked yet another visitation and greatly contributed to the blog you are presently [hopefully] enjoying! Just before heading off home for a few days I had re-read High Fidelity and was filled with a longing to discuss things (music, movies, ideas....) and maybe even to make a few top five lists along the way. Normally this isn't difficult; these conversations happen naturally when we are together, but when returning to our three respective cities it presents much more of a challenge....
So the other night, after having watched a slightly untoward number of vlogbrothers videos, I was inspired to follow in their entertaining footsteps and set us three a challenge: to communicate through the internets on a weekly basis, to respond to each other, to get to know each other better, and to share our sum knowledge of silly, entertaining, and sometimes stupid factoids, thoughts, and ideas in a way that can be looked back on fondly (or with embarrassment) in the coming weeks-months-years.
It only took some mild convincing, but I got A and K on board. All that was left was to come up with a title... This last read of High Fidelity I took to circling paragraphs and underlining quotes, and this one jumped out as particularly appropriate:
"[Things happen,] it's just that none of us had the wit or talent to make them into songs. We made them into life, which much messier, and more time consuming, and leaves nothing for anybody to whistle."
I hope this experience will leave us with something to whistle.
Get ready A and K, for the journey begins....
-E
I like the reference to the Newsies song ;)
ReplyDelete